Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Friday, April 24, 2020

Ruby-crowned Kinglets

It is a little early for Warblers right now, though I believe Lorna got a nice shot of a Yellow-Rumped perched on the drip. I photographed my first of year White-throated Sparrow yesterday, the Chipping Sparrows have arrived and there is still a single lingering Dark-eyed Junco. Also, there is an Eastern Phoebe - hope it stays. That varies year to year. Oh, and the Wood ducks are back. Just one or two pairs. Not as many as the past couple of years. Maybe just a little late? Or they were shotgunned?

But yesterday the real show was Ruby-crowned Kinglets, so that is what I focused on - so to speak. They are small, twitchy and can be difficult. Mostly they seemed to be in the evergreens right beside me, impossible to photograph, but it was nice to get so many good looks at them in the open. I did not catch one flashing up his little ruby flare. That is more of a breeding territorial thing, not something to be wasted in migration. They are in transit, just passing through. Oakwood is a motel stop on the highway to northern Minnesota or more likely Canada.

(I like this one)
And one last Junco.





Be well, stay safe - Gunnar

No comments: