Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Reading

The other day a friend sent me something he thought I would be interested in. I was. Who could not be interested in: Regional Climate Change Adaptation Strategies for Biodiversity Conservation in a Mid Continental Region of North America. This is the kind of stuff I love and Jim knows it. I used to fly through these papers, sucking in information, devouring it, then go back and hit the high spots I didn't quite process the first time through. The goal was information which I could convert into knowledge, then ideally package it with other knowledge into that nebulous thing we call wisdom.

As I have been working my way through this little nugget it has dawned on me that I have become a plodder. I have to go back and re-read and re-read things that don't stick. It's strange, I used to read one line per sight grab, or even two or three per click; now it's short phrases, even 3 or 4 words chunks. But hey, I have time and I'm learning to enjoy the process rather than the result. I don't have any goddamned choice. Mother nature is a really tough reading instructor.

1 comment:

Old Toad said...

Yup ... being a "plodder" is a good thing, especially when you have the time (which old toads and Gunnars have just enough of these days). Cheers to fellow plodders of the world!