Who are we? We are our stories.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Growlery Windows Update

The Growlery originally had three very small windows which were really beyond refurbishing. Then I caught a little luck, and coupled with a little cutting and banging boards around, I got two new windows. 

The large window was part of an earlier remodel of the house next door, which was then razed last Fall. I got the window. It's a good window, double-glazed, low-E glass, etc. John Rust and I enlarged the opening (a lot) and we put it in the south wall where it would maximise my sunlight. 
































I was going to just block off the other two windows, but I would have lost cross-ventilation and the view to the north from my desk chair. The other day I was visiting Tom Furleman looking for a keeper for an antique rimlock. Tom sells a number of lines of replacement windows and I noticed his sample windows were about the same size as my original little windows. We struck a deal. I came away with an extra sample window and he got rid of one.

Over the weekend I blocked, shimmed and foamed in the sample window and trimmed out both windows with plain ol' pine 1 x 4s. It looks pretty good, considering my level of incompetence. Eventually I plan on covering them with paint. Maybe. Someday.


The view from the Growlery door - Lorna peeking from behind a white lilac which is just starting to open.

7 comments:

gabriel said...

the only problem with covering them with paint is that you feel bad using thumbtacks for pinning stuff.

Gunnar Berg said...

Thumb tacks? Periodically. I give myself the "It's just a shed" reality check and I grab the claw hammer and galvanized roofing nails.

Elaine Toft (BloggerToots) said...

Near as I can tell, the work ain't too bad. I looked up the word so I wouldn't sound stupid, no luck. "What's a growlery?", this Stupid asked.

Gunnar Berg said...

A retreat. The word was stricken from the OED a few years ago. A shame, a good word.

Dicken's Bleak House, "This, you must know, is the growlery. When I am out of humour, I come and growl here."

George A said...

Looking good. Next I suspect will be the addition for the hot tub.

Silk Hope said...

I see you have more breezeway for the Cigar Smoke to exit.

Gunnar Berg said...

Yes, smoke, ventilation.