Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Friday, July 19, 2013

Rebirth

I had my right eye operated on yesterday - cataract removal and a prescription lens implanted. Today I went in for a follow up. I had three people examine me today, but I'm really only interested in the opinion of the surgeon. He said my left eye, done last week, has healed remarkably fast and is virtually healed. The right eye is still dilated a little so that vision is fuzzy. He said unless some unforeseen problem shows up I should be able to ride my bicycle in a week. I've been planting trees and moving a lot of rock and gravel recently. We didn't actually discuss heavy yard work, but I think the implication is that that will be okay then too.

I couldn't help but notice that I am always the youngest person by ten years in the waiting room. I asked the doctor if that didn't get a little depressing after a while. He said on the contrary, it was very gratifying. He is giving people new life. Often they haven't been able to drive, been able to do things that make their life fulfilling and he is able to give that back to them. That morning he talked to an older woman who hadn't been able to do her hardanger embroidery for years and now she can again. Obviously my vision was shortsighted.

I'm not going to take up needlework, but I can see better than I ever could. I probably will get glasses, particularly prescription sunglasses for driving, but right now I'm operating with $9 sunglasses and a pair of cheaters from Walgreen for reading. Gosh, it's great so far.

Be well,
Gunnar

4 comments:

George A said...

Good news, Gunnar.

Anonymous said...

When I had my cataract surgery at age 54 or so, the surgeon came in & said "we got a young one here". It made my day! Glad to hear the surgeries were successful!! Ur Sis-in-law, Anita

Johann Rissik said...

That's good news, young man ;)

Years ago I had a English friend who did cataract ops in a mission hospital in SA. His patients were elderly poor rural people and he gained a lovely nickname....one of the first people he operated on had been effectively blind. Once the bandages were removed the first thing the patient said was "yellow shoes" in the local language, (because that's what the crazy pom was wearing! ) That became his local praise-name.

May you see far into the future !

Elaine Toft (BloggerToots) said...

Wonderful for you. Just wait until you get a clear bead on all those winged lovelies in Texas next winter!