Who are we? We are our stories.

Friday, March 2, 2018

Estero Llano Blue Friday

The Tricolor Heron is in breeding plumage now and has blue, white and rose-tinted feathers. While it is colorful, for me it lacks the grace of most herons and egrets - neck and head just a little out of scale.



The White-eyed Vireo photo was taken at "the drip" at Paraque Hall.






From the song Mexican Blue by Jolie Holland:

You're like a saint's song to me
I'll try to sing it pure and easily
You're like a Mexican blue
So bright and clear and pale in the afternoon
In the afternoon




The Mexican Bluewing Myscelia ethusa is a 2 1/2" to 3" butterfly.  I took the photograph at the same drip location as the Vireo. In the afternoon. While I missed the official Butteryfly Walk and a couple of dozen tiny Hairstreaks and Grass Skippers - which I probably like more than the Bluewing. Big blue bugs are easier to photograph though.




Bright and clear and pale in the afternoon - Gunnar


P.S. A Falcate Skipper, Spathilepia clonius and a Painted Lady, Vanessa cardui, taken at Edinburg wetlands yesterday. I like the contrast.




2 comments:

Gunnar Berg said...

Brain Plath sent me a photo of a Tri in full breeding plumage. Simply amazing, but hopefully we will be chasing the Golden-cheeked Warbler by then.

Redwing said...

Good luck with the Golden-cheeked Warbler! By the way, that Lady is an American Lady.