Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

On Being Danish

Lorna and I are both of Danish heritage. We grew up across the street from each other in a small Minnesota village. Small? When I was growing up the sign into town read:

 CLARKS GROVE, pop 104 

97% of the village was divided more or less equally between Danes and Norwegians. The other 3% was a single Dutch family. The Danes especially were not inclined to show any degree of affection. Emotion of any kind was considered a weakness. I really have no idea how they were able to reproduce. I am certain, whatever was done was done in the dark. Likely fully clothed.

I was an adult before I saw an adult hug someone. My aunt returned from Minneapolis for the holidays and when she left she gave her mother a goodbye hug. The family was aghast, and for some time it was held close as a deep family secret. 


- Gunnar

5 comments:

George A said...

My Swedish wife is rolling her eyes.

M'Ellen Walton said...

Also being a Dane from Clarks Grove I can verify this. I moved to the South where everybody hugs everybody whether they know you or not. Also, "I love you" every time you leave or hang up the phone.I remember thinking this was all pretty rediculous.

Gunnar Berg said...

Come back to me Mary Ellen and I will give you hugs to last a lifetime. - he sang

Redwing said...

I was raised by a Greek family. We use a completely different chart. However, I recently heard on the news that some Greeks in Greece are being convicted for their "uncoordinated and disorganized response to a major fire." As if there's any other way for Greeks to respond.

Gunnar Berg said...

Danes are amazingly organized and co-operative. They get in line a wait to be told what to do.