Who are we? We are our stories.

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Wilson's Snipe

You birders know how hard it can be to get eyes on a Snipe or Sora. 

Over time I have come to the conclusion that almost no bird really fears human beings and are hiding from us. It certainly can seem that way at times, but I suspect they just make a living working in really secluded environs.

Usually these are "hard" birds, but I must have a hundred photos of Wilson's Snipe walking out in open sunlight. It is always on their terms not on ours.











Ask me tomorrow about the Berg Theory Of Bird Fear and I will likely argue that it is a crock of shit.

- Gunnar

2 comments:

Redwing said...

Great photos! Taken from the deck at Estero?

Gunnar Berg said...

Earlier in the season I counted a dozen or so from the deck. Now more dispersed, but still had four this week. Water management in The Valley continues to be a mystery. Easy to be mad, but it is likely driven by funding. The park has a shortage of water - no or few rails, not many ducks, no divers, but it is better for Snipe.

I haven't been to Santa Ana this year, but last year is was perfect with nice wetland edges. Then they filled the ponds up like a bath tub and there was virtually nothing.