Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 4: Delta Lake

We started our outing at the Edinburg Scenic Wetlands. There wasn't much afoot , er ... a-wing. I did see a Clay-Colored Robin and some other small flitting birds I couldn't I.D. It was another cold, misty day and while I was hiding in the car getting warm, Lorna saw a Lesser Goldfinch, so all was not lost.

In late morning we left to see what we could see at Delta Lake, up north of Elsa. At first it seemed like it was a bit of a bust, but then we found the channel linking the two lakes which proved to be a motherlode of shorebirds, vultures and various herons and egrets (sorry, I didn't get a good shot of the Snowy Egret)

It seemed like a pretty satisfying outing, and then as we were headed back south, Lorna spotted about fifty Sandhill Cranes feeding out in a field. A full day.
The small shorebirds can be difficult to I.D. Easy for me; I just call them all "peeps".

Black Vultures, postively creepy birds, just hanging out, waiting for something to die.


Roseate Spoonbill (young bird)
Common Egret
Great Blue Heron
Sandhill Cranes

2 comments:

Mimbres Man said...

I have lots of pics of black vultures from Venezuela. They aren't as graceful as turkey vultures.

Elaine Toft (BloggerToots) said...

Just last fall cranes were munching on field left overs here in Ham Lake MN. Nice to see these images when everything's frozen outside here. You bird identifiers amaze.