Who are we? We are our stories.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Fireflys

The far reachs of our yard tend toward unkempt jungliness. The various critters seem to appreciate it and I appreciate their presence. Tonight the big show was fireflys. I don't think I've ever seen as many. The weather conditions must be ideal. For whatever reason they are out in force this year doing their sexual signaling thing.

They are one of those creatures that are magic. Image you have never seen anything other than regular brown bugs. Then you meet this guy that says there are insects that have internal lights, and they can turn them off and on at will, and on certain nights of the year they gather in large numbers and blink off and on in a certain sequence as a precurser to mating. Well, you'd think he was smoking really good dope. Though I'll bet if I could make my fat ass light up like a Christmas tree I could attract females too.

No comments: