Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"I am overwhelmed by a sense of humanity here..."

From Adena StarJumper in Cambodia:
"I am too cynical to be one of those people who idealize poverty and human suffering. But at the same time, it seems like there is something so genuine about life here. It seems so real. A part of me feels like such a phony, I write about the realness of Cambodia, when in reality I haven't really experienced it. I am stuck in hippy, backpacker ville. I wonder if the drugged out and drunk backpackers around me realize that what they are experiencing is not Cambodia. And if they do realize this, I wonder if they even care; if they are okay with being numb. Though I guess being numb is probably the easiest way to deal with being an uninvited guest in a country such as Cambodia. So fair enough, I'll remain a bit numb myself, but I will make a concious effort to take a moment to breathe in the shit of true humanity."

No comments: