Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Wave, Not the Water

Lorna is watching the Oscars. We're in an apartment, so I am too. I listened to Bett Midler sing Wind Beneath My Wings. Let us establish right here and now that I am one opinionated S.O.B. and then move on. I do not dislike Bett Midler; I do not even find the sentiment of the song particularly objectionable. But that is one dreadful song. Here is a counter.  



Thirst is not the answer, oceans come and go
I loved her seven seas worth, lord I loved her so
But she let me down so easy, one slow drop at a time
I would've killed myself but it made no sense
Committing suicide in self defense
But I lost everything I brought her
When she said, babe, you're just a wave, you're not the water

Centuries ago we were living on the gold coast
She was still in love with a long gone, cold ghost
I was only trying to turn back the tide of her tears
I felt like an endless ocean, rolling through the fog
Full emotion drifting like a weather beaten log
I even thought that I out thought her
'Til she said, babe, you're just a wave, you're not the water

I said, someday we'll love again, then you'll know the score
I've taught you everything I know and maybe even more
That's true she said, more than you ever will
I've said I've been your raging river, precious African queen
I've shown you everything that I've ever seen
But she knew more than I had taught her
When she said babe, you're just a wave, you're not the water

Well, I followed her far and wide with all of my will
Water on the move, you know it never stands still
And I moved every muscle, just to prove it can be done
Then up some old sad river, where snow white lilies float
I came to her for mercy, but I hardly rocked the boat
She seemed surprised that I had caught her
But she said, babe, you're just a wave, you're not the water

4 comments:

Mimbres Man said...

That's awesome! I'm with you, Wind Beneath My Wings sucks!

Linda said...

We prefer Bett Middler.

reverend dick said...

Jimmie Dale! I saw him at the Sheridan Opera House in ~1996. He did not respond to my repeated and increasingly strident requests for "Home with the armadillo."

Gunnar Berg said...

Which of course was sung by Jerry Jeff Walker & written by Gary P. Nunn, though I'm certain Jimmie Dale has sung it somewhere along the way.