Who are we? We are our stories.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

B.J.Shaver


I've spent my adult life listening to Billy Joe Shaver, first on LPs, then tape and now CDs - I haven't quite made the hyperjumper to downloads yet. I share him with friends and they kind of wince and try to leave the room - you people know who you are. I slowly came to the conclusion that there were probably only seven people in the world that appreciated his work, that got it. I was wrong. From Bob Dyan's as-yet-untitled CD which will be out in April:

"I'm listening to Billy Joe Shaver
And I'm reading James Joyce
Some people tell me
I got the blood of land in my voice"

Turns out there are eight of us. Maybe it's a smalltown Minnesota thing.

3 comments:

Todd Peterson said...

Never been much of a Dylan fan, but I can see how eight Minnesotans could "get hooked" on Billy Joe's music.
Had to laugh when I heard some of the lyrics in "I Found My Weakness in You" -- offered for 99 cents on his website:
http://texicanmusic.com/billy/samples1.htm

It may be time for you to start downloading his songs (but keep those LP's pristine!).

Masini said...

Remember when I mentioned TD Mischke to you? Well, he's doing an online stream on CityPages.com. He mentioned BJ Shaver last week. He's really into promoting area music. He got me hooked on the Pines last week as well (OK, they're Iowan, but so am I!).

Gunnar Berg said...

Rory,
Good to hear from you. I have a confession. Some of my people passed through Iowa on the way too - of course we ended up out in the middle of...never mind, you know where...instead of Switzerland or where ever the **** you are now. I've been following your team - though it didn't seem to help them in Cali. Be well.