Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cannondale for Winter

I'm still trying to come up with an efficient way to get around town. This is my daughter's Cannondale. I swapped out the sidepull brakes for cantis, installed the rack and added fenders. This may be more practical than the Colnago, but the frame is way too small for me. I feel scrunched, but don't dare raise the seat more. I think some upright bars might help. The fenders were a hassle. I can dink around for a day getting a good fender line with clearance. The bike was set up for racks but not fenders - no holes in the bottom and brake stay, etc. So I futzed around and fashioned little widgets. I eventually strapped the fender to the rear rack with a little leather belt. I'm giving it all a thumbs up. The crankset gets a thumbs down. Even on snow and ice I need more inches. What's the point of a triple crank if they're all small and you have a big rear cog? This was originally an upright town bike (re-did the bars earlier). Somewhere in a cubicle someone got paid to spec this. I would wager they were not a bicyclist. Oh, I upgraded the rear derailleur too, because I had one. I'll deal with the tinkertoy front derailleur when I replace the crank.

After I posted this it was pointed out to me by a bicycle professional that my gear choice, big rear cog/big front ring, smacked of poor bikemanship. I can not deny this, but at the time was a reason for it and I hereby throw myself on the mercy of the court.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The choice of gears is a bit different, I always was told that you don't use "Big-Big" or "Small - Small". In my riding hey-day, I used about 6 of the gears available on my 12 speed.

Gunnar Berg said...

The front derailleur was out of adjustment.The only way I could shift was by moving the chain by hand. I needed the big cog coming up the hill to home before I took the picture. It has been dealt with.