Strix the harbinger
guards the exit gate, quizzing all
Who will pass this night?

Monday, October 18, 2010

Recycling

The Interstate Power brick smokestack
Addy took the garden picture last week. I love the old bricks. The path is the very heart of my perennial garden. The late Joe Koevnig used to live next door. He was a supervisor at Interstate Power. When the stack was knocked down he used some of the bricks for a walkway down to his house. Lorna's sister and her husband eventually bought the house for a weekend retreat. I came into possession of the bricks when they "upgraded" their walkway. They have more bricks paving an unused patio. They don't seem ready to part with them, but I covet them. I'm going to expand the garden down to the lake next year and I'll be forced to have a grass pathway. How many bricks were in that tower? Thousands, hundreds of thousands? A million bricks? I suppose the rest of them are in a landfill somewhere. Couldn't I make some paths and steps with that many bricks? I could lay down the damned Appian Way of garden paths with a million bricks! 

The brick garden path at 1410 Oakwood



No comments: