Who are we? We are our stories.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

R.I.P. Willie DeVille

WILLY DeVILLE
The picture of Willy DeVille reminds me of my late friend, Phil Wylie. Now Phil looked bad too. He looked bad and mean. Phil was a biker - could just make those Harleys fly. I never thought much about his appearance. He was just Phil. He was intelligent, creative and funny. When I talked with Phil on any subject the conversation was always stimulating. One day I was pissed at my bank and I asked him where he had his checking account. "Checking account? Hell, when you look like I do you have to show an I.D. to pay cash." Never, NEVER judge a book by it's cover. (More on Phil later...)
Last month Willy DeVille died. Damn, he was one soulful sonofabitch, but heroin is a tough mistress. Do not judge the cover.

No comments: