Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Friday, January 14, 2011

John Prine: Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow)

The video quality is poor, but here at 1410 we're seeking enlightenment and connection with humanity, not visual clarity.




My heart's in the ice house come hill or come valley
Like a long ago Sunday when I walked through the alley
On a cold winter's morning to a church house
just to shovel some snow.

I heard sirens on the train track howl naked gettin' nuder,
An altar boy's been hit by a local commuter
just from walking with his back turned
to the train that was coming so slow.

You can gaze out the window get mad and get madder,
throw your hands in the air, say "What does it matter?"
but it don't do no good to get angry,
so help me I know 

For a heart stained in anger grows weak and grows bitter.
You become your own prisoner as you watch yourself sit there
wrapped up in a trap of your very own
chain of sorrow.


I been brought down to zero, pulled out and put back there.
I sat on a park bench, kissed the girl with the black hair
and my head shouted down to my heart
"You better look out below!"


Hey, it ain't such a long drop don't stammer don't stutter
from the diamonds in the sidewalk to the dirt in the gutter
and you carry those bruises to remind you
wherever you go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for running Prine. He's always been one of my favorites and I love this particular song. He didn't look too good a few months ago when I saw him on TV. I heard he's had problems with cancer. Dex