Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pug Bling

At one time Buddy had a partner in crime, Samantha -  aka Sam. They were a riot. As is the way of life, all great love stories end in separation. Sam died a couple of years ago. Actually Doc Nelson gave her a shot. I let it go on too long and I have promised myself I will not put Bud through that. So I keep an eye on him, continually monitoring his health. He seems to be in pretty good condition except he's become quite deaf and he is slowly going blind - starting to bark at large sticks and odd rocks. He's not as rambunctious as he was as a pup. He now sleeps almost 18 hours a day, curled up under his heat lamp. I think Spring will put a little more zip in him - more interesting things to smell and roll in. More rabbits to roust. Better walks with the boss and naps out on the deck with the old man.

Someone (?) thought he needed a little rhinestone uplift. Personally I think Bud is a manly little fellow and I don't think jewelry really suits him. When Sam was alive they had matching red collars. Now that she's gone he seems to prefer being dressed in black. The picture is on the side of a purse that someone gave Addy when we still had two pugs. The quality is surprisingly good. The rhinestones of the necklace and tiara are glued on the bag. Bling! Bling!  It has stood up very well - even appears to be unused. In Albert Lea, Minnesota there are limited social events where a twin pugster purse would be appropriate.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought he needed bling because he seemed a lot like Elvis.


mw

Lorna G. Berg said...

Addy, can I use it for a lunch bag?
I thought that would be the perfect use for it since brown paper bags are out.

Masini said...

Looks like you and I are walking that same long sidewalk. Tucker is aging as well. Cataract surgery, bacterial infections, going blind (again), kidney stones, UT infections... it never ends. At least he's a good patient and never complains.

Gunnar Berg said...

Cataract surgery? I've noticed that people with no kids are willing (or able) to give more care to their dogs. Bud has cataracts (as do I). He'll just have to stumble around.
Give Ol' Tuck a treat and a pet or two from Bud and me.

Anonymous said...

My lab Elizabeth dropped dead from some problem, some heart ailment. . . never got over it. Can't seem to get another one. 4 years now.

mw

Gunnar Berg said...

We had a Sheltie that was a sweetheart. There were literally tear stains on the check I wrote to the vet.

Silk Hope said...

Gunnar:

I take it back. Ditch the Bling. Bud is fine just way he is. Just like your McLean...Less is definitely MORE.

Jack

Gunnar Berg said...

"Less is definitely MORE."

You mean less ... less like a Paris frame, or a Hetchins or a Jack Taylor? Or any one of a dozen Australian frames? I think I understand. ;o)

Silk Hope said...

Don't get me started. I seem to remember quite some pin striping on various stake bed trucks and pickups in the Midwest back in the 60's. I thought it was some sort of salute to everyone's Scandinavian background. Big men with big trucks with "Decoration" on their farm implementation.

Yep this Laguna Beach resident use to detassle corn at one time. But I digress.

JG

Gunnar Berg said...

And I wore "Manly Footwear", made by Tony Lama, Justin and Lucchese.

And I've detasselled corn too. And hoed beans, weeded onions and shoveled corn. I do not miss that part of my youth.

Anonymous said...

Bud can go incognito if he chooses. However, I just thought that the King should occasionally dress the part for his loyal followers.

mw

ps I did more crap work growing up in Missouri than I could ever remember, bucking bales for 6c. a pop till my eyes bled, that kinda stuff.

Gunnar Berg said...

My father farmed until I went away to college and he lost his labor force. 6c a bale sounds pretty good. I didn't get paid at all ... unless you count room and board and education. I pumped gas for my cash. Small town and farming - all my friends worked starting at about 13. Farm kids earlier. It was a given. I thought I was getting off easy because the Old Man didn't have any livestock.