Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Put the Brakes On!

Apis said...
"You're going for an end-of-life bike and aren't considering Paul's® Racers? Embarrassing."

[Mixte+005.jpg]

I have considered Paul Racers. I even put them post mounted on my wife's end-of-life-bike (married 41 years a today :o).  They work great, are easy to adjust and pull as smooth as silk. They are also kind of blocky looking to my eye (ugly as hell) and cost about $250. The Suntour cantilevers are maybe a little pedestrian, but they cost me $32.79. If they don't work out, I can pitch'em.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh whatever on the brakes. Suntours were the best anyway. If you can save a few bucks for a dinner out, go for it, and don't forget to tip.

mw

Masini said...

Happy Anniversary!

Justine Valinotti said...

Happy Anniversary! And I agree with anon: SunTour cantis were the best!

Silk Hope said...

No comment.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! -Tony

reverend dick said...

Happy Anniversary!

Sad brake choice.

Hey! Don't take this the wrong way, but I wanna ride your wife's bike...

Silk Hope said...

Lorna I have never met you, but you must be a Saint. Come to thing about it,... St. Lorna has a nice ring you know.

Gunnar Berg said...

She married me for my taste in brakes.

Justine Valinotti said...

I'm intrigued by your wife's bike. As I've just built up a Miss Mercian, I am curious to know about other high-quality women's bikes. What make/brand/builder is it?

Gunnar Berg said...

http://oakwoodlife.blogspot.com/2008/01/lornas-vo-mixte.html

Lorna'a bike was built as a prototype for Velo Orange by Ahren Rogers of Banjo Cycles of Madison, Wi, before Chris decided to go overseas with production. Ahren used to work for Seven Cycles. He'll build you anything you want.

Silk Hope said...

Ditch the Suntours. Any Mafac's on EB?

Gunnar Berg said...

There always are.

Mimbres Man said...

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Berg!

I like the Paul's Neo-Retros, but $$$$!!
My Mafacs work okay with Kool Stop pads.

Jonny Hamachi said...

Nice work with Lorna there!

As for the brakes, there are no rules, only tradition.

Gunnar Berg said...

Okay, now that we're racked up 14 brake comments, I have to be straight forward here. The Suntours are going on Addy's Cannondale, replacing the V.O. Empella Froggleg knockoffs, which will go on the future Kvale.