Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Monday, March 15, 2010

Gabus on the Cinelli Holy Grail



"Why is it that the famous Cinelli frame (you know the silver one that everbody covets) has such a following when from what I can tell It hasn't won much or been on any famous team. I will give it its due it is truly a beautiful frame but it has an aura all it's own and seems to me to be based on design and looks alone.

Kind of the Grace Kelly of frames. Taken out on the weekends and looks stunning hanging out at the coffee shop.

One other thing how does one take out a busted adjustment screw from a back drop out."

Jack makes a good point on the silver Cinelli SC. We all want one. We might pretend we don't, but in our hearts, we do. It's a color that is worth a 50% increase in value for no logical reason. What makes a Holy Grail? We want to say it's because Elmo Zanto rode one like it in his famous climb to win the '48 San Remo. But then something like the silver Cinelli that never won anything shows up. ???  It's the silver gullwing coupe of bicycles. 


Any thoughts out there on the dropout adjuster screw?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

for the adjuster screw, it depends on where it broke. if it broke behind the dropout (like mine did), then then the main problem is that the threads aren't straight and the screw won't get through the dropout.

You need to screw it through the back of the dropout as far as possible until you see nice, straight threads behind the dropout. then take a hacksaw to the screw to cut off the bent threads, leaving a bit sticking out so you can clean up what's left. Then, try to unscrew it as normal. if it won't turn, then you need to, carefully, drill the screw out. I have no advice there, other than, start with a small bit, go slow and try not to muck up the threads (assuming that you really want dropout adjusters).

Allan Pollock

Anonymous said...

I agree with allan . . . but please do not pick up a drill. sort of like don't pick up a hammer, a chisel, or anything else that can really harm a bike. back away, take it to the oldest mech in your shop, wait patiently, pay a small fee, and live to ride another day.

mw

Anonymous said...

I have a Cinelli with Super Record. Mine is cool, but nothing like this. The older ones were the real deal.

mw

Mimbres Man said...

"It's the silver gullwing coupe of bicycles."...NICE!

Gunnar Berg said...

Mimbres, (or as Jan Hart says, Dr. Beard) You are getting old. You know what a gullwing coupe is. The analogy runs thin though, what with the Italian vs German.

Silk Hope said...

Yep Gunnar smooth analogy. The Mercedes Gullwing of frames. That brings up one of other favorite things. LeMans! I believe in the mid 50's the Gullwing was king. Me being a Porsche owner I love that race, the movie and McQueen.

I here the sound of Weber carboration already. Now you how old I am.

Mimbres Man said...

A classic is a classic be it German or Italian.

Gunnar Berg said...

I lived with Toad for a short time. He had a new green MGB. I had a sorry 1956 Ford. At the time it wasn't a collector car,it was just old. There was a guy in the same building who had a Mercedes 300SL gullwing. Toad remembers his name; I forget. Keep in mind, it was a cool car, the fastest car you could buy at the time, but not a half million dollar machine. Yet. I wanted to drive it bad. No. I wanted to ride in it. Hell, even that cost me washing it for him. Asshole. But I got a ride.

Silk Hope said...

Gunnar:

Who own this machine? What is with the plastic pie plate on the back rim. Oye vey...sacriledge. The person either needs to be drawn and quartered or sell it to me, or both.

Looks like my size!

Gunnar Berg said...

I don't remember. It must have been for sale or I wouldn't have the photo.