Who are we? We are our stories.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Dream

This is from my daughter's blog back in Dec. She is a private person, so I will not include a link. It is one of those things I tend to go back to when I miss her. Warning, the video is over an hour long, but worth it sometime when you need a little perspective.


"Thanks to my parents' careful guidance, I have never been one for pop-culture. In fact, as soon as I hear the phrase "pop-sensation" I tend to discredit whatever bit of media or "art" is being described. Fortunately for me, there is one pop-sensation that I did not dismiss, though, I think I caught on quite late. Two weeks ago I spent a Saturday afternoon in a local internet cafe, surrounded by children blowing each other up online, watching Randy Pausch's, "Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams". I am sure everyone who decides to read this knows all about Randy Pausch, so I will not waste any time describing him or the content of his lecture. Though I will say that it made a huge impact on my Bangkok hardened soul.
I left the internet cafe in tears and realized that I am currently achieving my childhood dream of being a teacher in a foreign country. This realization or remembrance is deeply satisfying. It is possibly the most satisfying feeling of my life. I feel happier now that ever before, too bad this dream has to come to actualization away from my family."

No comments: