Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Grandma's on Miller Hill

We're back from our vacation, mostly an eating binge with hiking and loving to burn off the calories. I thought I'd take pictures Jonny Hamachi type pictures of every meal, but I got wrapped up in the eating and forgot a lot.


The first time I ever ate at what I believe became Grandma's in Duluth was years ago fishing with my Ol' Man, Don Wayne and Chuck Nelson. The restaurant was a local hangout down on the docks, servicing sailors and warehouse workers. Good food. "Grandma" was supposedly a madame, though I cannot verify this. Over the years the warehouse district disappeared, replaced by Canal Park, comprised of four big hotels and a tourist shops all revolving around a bevy of Grandma's restaurants to handle the growing hungry crowds. The food is still wonderful, but it's a little touristy and takes a long time to get served, so we go the Grandma's up on Miller Hill, which is smaller and more of a local restaurant. (About three miles away and 800 feet higher - for J.G. who says there are no hills in Minnesota) My favorite entrée is the Wild Cajun Chicken. This starts out as a spicy Italian sausage meal, but adds mushrooms, red onions, grilled chicken and substitutes wild rice for the pasta. Then they add enough hot cajun spices to require a dark beer or two to cool it down.


Lorna with mushrooms stuffed with wild rice and cheese. A big bowel of wild cajun chicken. Tastes better than it looks. Maybe my favorite meal in the world ... so far.

1 comment:

Jonny Hamachi said...

What a wonderful getaway. Out here we consider ourselves Professionals (an all encompassing term for how we live and enjoy life).

I'd say you two are too.