Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Monday, June 21, 2010

Naniboujou Parking Lot

There was a British sportscar rally in Thunder Bay over the weekend and the roads were populated by MG-TCs, Triumphs and Healys moving north ... rather the road shoulders and flatbed trucks were. Group failure at inopportune times and places. I saw a matched set of cream TCs that would be worth the probability of misfortune. His and Her MGs!






I talked to the feet of the guy underneath the Lotus Europa for a while (one fine automobile). He was hoping it would make it to Thunder Bay. He said he's been fighting to keep British sportscars running for 30 years and is just about fed up and ready to move on. I sympathized with him, as I too had gone down that dark road (that's a joke, guys) with an Austin-Healy.
Tomorrow: Where we stayed, trail and lake pictures, and lots of wooden boats!

10 comments:

jusvelos said...

good read gunnar

Silk Hope said...

The Italian Cousin to Lucas... Veglia which was is my Fiat 124 Sp coupe. Beautiful car very dark at night.

Gunnar Berg said...

By the time I married I had moved up to Italian autos. We had a Fiat 124 Pinafarina Sport Spider and an old '56 Alfa Romero Giulietta Sprint coupe with a newer TI engine set up hot. Those were an electrician adventure too. Wish I still had the Alfa. After I sold it I found out he just wanted the engine. :-(

Jonny Hamachi said...

At some point this summer I have to unwrap the MGB and continue the brawl. Front carb took a dump while I was on the Bay Bridge in thick traffic.

I was stalled out in the right hand lane (hazards weren't working) talking to CHP messaging machines when I started cranking the starter to turn the tranny to push me forward.

After about 40 feet of that I caught the down slope, reached 35 mph, cranked around the giant cloverleaf exit, went through three green lights (the last one a shade yellow) and into a parking spot.

The next week I bought a 93 Toyota pick up. The smallest model I could find. 265,000 miles, 24 mpg, and just passed CA Smog again! Perfect commuter.

Gunnar Berg said...

A Toyota pickup with 250,000 miles on it is more reliable and probably has more life left than a new MG. But that's not the point.

Silk Hope said...

Gunnar:

Forgot one thing... S.U. carburation with dip sticks! Only the English could invent such a Disaster.

Maybe I am aging myself. I acutally know how to tune those SOB's up. Can you say Weber.

Jack

Gunnar Berg said...

Twin DCOE.

Doohickie said...

My neighbor across the street has an Austin Healey just like the one in your first pic... except in red.

Gunnar Berg said...

I singled out the green Austin-Healey 3000 because in the flesh the paint, chrome and upholstery were beautiful. Perfect. Way better than showroom new. And it was being driven to the show, not trailered. Yay.

Anonymous said...

funny post...reminded me of my Dad's struggles rebuilding his mk4 Triumph Spitfire. A fun little car, once you've replaced the wiring harness....and get to know the carbs... and throw the shifter just so....and sync the trans with the engine just so....and ....oh hell, it looks nice anyway! ;)
Allan