Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Friday, September 18, 2009

Birth Announcement


Yesterday the Fedex man dropped off a large box which contained M05030, my new 1980 McLean bicycle. Today he brought a wheelset from the Cossack. They are built with Super Champion rims and newly rebuilt vintage Phil Wood hubs, with the steel cylinders and a high-low rear hub. (This only matters to bike geeks.) I want to thank the Cossack for his generosity because I'm certain the price only covered the cost of rebuilding the hubs and the shipping. I'm going to build this as a high end race bike would have been put together in 1980. I'm hoping to assemble the components and have it rolling by next Spring. Time and money.

3 comments:

Margadant said...

Congrats! I'll claim my cigar from the proud papa next time I'm in Albert Lea.

Old Toad said...

Looks like you're going to have some fun this winter, Gunnar. It's a good way to keep an old retired guy out of trouble (a keep up his bike geek skills up and running 'til the new bike rolls out in the Spring).

The old Toad has no such project on the horizon. After all the grief in working with website geeks this year, he's tempted to learn Dreamweaver so he can fix everything the geeks didn't get done before they overran the budget by 100+%. Arrrggggh!

Doug said...

I've got goose bumps just thinking about the finished bike.