Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Last Butterfly

Most of our friends have already migrated north. On Tuesday morning we are headed to Fulton Beach, Texas on our first leg north. Yesterday was Lorna's last outing with a few of her lingering butterfly lovers. While I appreciate the little bugs, I do not have the passion for them that this group has. I took one picture of a butterfly, then I took pictures of the flutterbuggers themselves, who I find far more fascinating.

The group hunting itty-bitty brown flutterbugs.
Little brown bug AKA: Celia's Roadside- skipper



The Queen and her court.

Following are a couple of pictures I shot a couple of days ago that really aren't posting quality. The lighting was poor and I was not careful about my camera settings. The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was really a heart-breaker. It is the first time I have been close enough to get a good picture of this bird and I really blew it. Interesting - as long as his tail might appear to be, they are new feathers and not completely grown out. All I can say is that over the past couple of thousand years female Scissor-tails must have really been attracted to males with long tails to select the characteristic to this extreme. Lovely colors too.

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Red-crowned Parrots







Also, thanks to Erik Bruhnke for again sharing food, drink and stories with us last night. Erik is a fine young man and an expert birder. If I were to select a birding guide either here in Texas or up in the Sax-Zim bog of northern Minnesota, he would be my man. 



Take care, Gunnar

No comments: