Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

A Trip To the Cemetery

The weather here in the LRGV is still cool, but the sun has come out, it will probably warm up and we will likely survive.

Lorna and I, Paul and Carolee, went out this morning to what was intended to be an easy outing for me. It soon became obvious to me I am still hobbling far worse than I had hoped for. We first went to Quinta Mazatlan, a beautiful facility which is noticeably improving every year. An immature male Blue Bunting has been seen there - but not today. We bumped into Peggy Rudman, a friend from past years, who joined us for the rest of the outing. She is a good set of eyes and is simply an amazing photographer, specializing in photos of flying birds. Jeez. 

Eventually I had to admit knee defeat and I just sat in the sun (took a knee) while the others beat the bushes for birds.

Clay-colored Thrush

Green Heron

Rufus Hummingbird 
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Later we went to Roselawn Cemetery, a tree covered island in the sea of concrete and asphalt development, to hopefully find some warblers. Not a great outing, but we did see a Black-throated Green Warbler, Black-throated Gray Warbler, and Yellow-throated Warbler. Me? Given the choice between my increasingly sore knee and a stone-cold ass, I opted for a nice soft granite Gonzalez gravestone while the others continued their chase.



Death is hard. A large, rather grim gravestone. 
We saw some birds, but I never did take a really good photograph all day. - Gunnar

1 comment:

Redwing said...

That's quite the headstone. Also glad Gonzales could offer you a place to sit.