Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Orange-crowned Warblers

Today was our first Warblers of the Spring - a Black and White Warbler, which I think Lorna got photos of, and the Orange-crowned Warbler. This was a little surprising, as we generally expect the Yellow-rumped Warblers to be the first to arrive. The Warblers are all insect eaters. Maybe they were ambushed by the weather? An odd year. 

The Orange-crowned Warbler is a rather drab Warbler - no wing-bars, no markings to speak of, and I have only seen the "orange crown" when it is in a birdbath in Texas where they winter.




The other migrators today were not Warblers, but a Kinglets, tiny birds, Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned. Lorna got pics of a Golden-crowned Kinglet earlier. I did not. Again, Lorna managed to get photos of the Ruby-crowned head tuft flaring, but I didn't. The male generally doesn't his ruby red tuft up except when confronting other males or just showing off for a female.

I just didn't catch a good photo. They are small and never stop moving. My poses were all either not quite in focus, or awkward and non-typical poses. My best picture of the day was probably that ass-end shot. *sigh*





Let's just chalk this off to a practice round for the real show in a couple of weeks. - Gunnar

1 comment:

George A said...

I'm in favor of anything that eats nasty insects whether the eater flies or not. I didn't care much for Opossums until I learned that they enjoy dining on ticks. Now Opossums are on my hit parade.