Who are we? We are our stories.

Thursday, December 9, 2021

Stone Blind Horses

There are some saints that have been forgotten 
Like most of my drunken prayers 
They say there’s a heaven somewhere above the yonder 
Where there’s no more crosses to bear 

Now there’s ghosts along the highways 
And there’s storms out on the seas 
My only hope is somewhere in that heaven 
Someone says a prayer for me 

I been riding stone blind horses 
Never seen a reason to believe 
Hey sweet Genevieve say a prayer for me 
For wild young cowboys, old drunks, paramours and thieves 

The high slurred whistle of a redwing blackbird 
Sounds like he’s singing 'oh that I might die' 
It’s a song for those who have fallen 
Unrepentant with no more alibis

By Ray Wylie Hubbard, 
From the album The Ruffian's Misfortune. 

No comments: