Who are we? We are our stories.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ska Madness

Reverend Dick, pastor of the Church of the Sweet Ride (might as well suffer), has done it again. He has taken me on a memory trip back to a time I know he cannot recall himself. He posted some Ska, and it took me back to 1963 and the college on the hill. St. Olaf (yes, it's real) had a very strong music department and all the music geeks played the latest hot stuff. Ska was hot. I have a weakness for live performance. In this case the tired old man live, pales before the vibrant young Prince on vinyl. Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.


3 comments:

Justine Valinotti said...

I love it. Have you heard any of Bob Marley's very early stuff? That's what I think of when I hear the song. Of course, ska is one of the parents of reggae, and before anyone outside of Jamaica had heard of him, Bob's music was a sort of combination of ska, doo-wop and the blues.

You may want to check out something that's apparently from one of his demo tapes in the mid-'60's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BBBMNjPblY

Gunnar Berg said...

Yeah. In 1963 Bob Marley was just another Ska singer. Ska was always pretty derivative. He took in a direction that more non-Jamaicans could relate to.

Margadant said...

This will always be good stuff. Thanks for remembering.