Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Monday, September 20, 2010

The Old Possum

I married the girl next door, so I knew her family pretty well. Lorna's parents were two of the finest people I have ever known. I loved them more than I loved my own parents. Her mother Florence died from breast cancer about the time we were married and for a few years Bob continued on his journey alone. He had a bad heart. One evening we returned from a walk around the neighborhood to find Bob face down on our living room floor, dead. I know George Jones released this song shortly before Bob died because when the family gathered at our house after the funeral I heard  it on the radio or record player in the background. 

I started thinking about George Jones because of our discussion of what 'soul' is in music, then because of his 'Old Possum' nickname. He has the finest voice to ever sing country music. Period. I really don't care for most of the songs he sings, nor the over produced strings, pedal steel and background singers. At 80 he may have lost range and the sweet honey in the low range is rougher, but the voice is still there. George did our county fair this year, at 80 years of age he can still sing. 

For me this is Bob's song and it still tears my heart out. Rip it out twice. One with the original George and one with the old George, as he is today.



1 comment:

Mimbres Man said...

Good song. I like the classic stuff.

I found my dad pretty much the same way, but face up. It was harsh.