Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Down the Growlery Path

Visitors (and myself) have been walking through dirt to get to the Growlery. I had some old 6 x 8s that had laid in the weeds out back for a couple of years. Early in the season I fashioned some primitive steps to keep from slip-sliding on the grass. I like to recycle things - I had further plans, but not much material with which to execute them. Then a couple of months ago I hit the mother lode; Lorna's sister, Linda and Larry committed to building a house next door and there were old bricks that suddenly needed a new home. The bricks had been a patio which over the years had become covered in moss and soil, so it was hard to tell how many there were. Lorna and I went into action, digging them out and wheelbarrowing them over and stacking them on the side of the Growlery. They were from the same tower as my existing path bricks, but they were various sized wedges and arcs. This made it a little challenging, but I think it gives the path more character. After I get some plants to soften the edges and moss growing in the cracks I think it will be pretty fine.

On a run to the City Dump I noticed a particularly harsh colored flamingo sticking out of a bin, calling my name. Flamingos are nice - they are classic kitsch and they help my garden from becoming too rarefied.





 Next year I'm  going to put a little pocket garden in it's location, lay the pile of cement bricks, and build a couple of facing Gabus benches with wide, flat arms to set bottles on outside the Growlery door.








11 comments:

Silk Hope said...

Nice work Gunnar. Look really good.

Silk Hope said...

I forgot... Makes me proud to have a couple benches name after me. Now I get to kiss everybody ass. Also along with the beer holders don't forget the Cigar ashtray. And do you have room enough for Bud. That is fine dog.

Gunnar Berg said...

I always make room for Bud. Not sure he's going to make it another year.

reverend dick said...

It is important to keep atmospheres from getting too rarefied. Myself, I have to really work at it.

Gunnar Berg said...

Okay, maybe "rarefied" was the wrong word. Maybe "uppity"?

Silk Hope said...

Speaking of "rarefied". Rev I would say the "Tupperware" Specialized is very RAREFIED.....Don't hurt yourself.

Gunnar Berg said...

For those people who are saying, "WTF Tupperware?", the Rev is riding a very hot new carbon Specialized.

Silk Hope said...

I keep checking those brick patterns. That is totally bonus and very creative.

Gunnar Berg said...

A bit of a trick. 6 different shapes to integrate seamlessly - well, more or less seamlessly, and make it look right.

Anonymous said...

LOVE your garden Gunnar!! Your artistic tendencies at work!

Gunnar Berg said...

Dear Any Mouse,
Who are you? I usually just delete anonymous comments, but ....