Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Butterfly Mating Photos!

The first photo is pair of Queens mating, the male being the smaller bug. I thought, boy you don't see that every day. Then an hour later I saw a pair of Gulf Fritillaries, the female on the ground, tail up with the male fluttering above. Butterflies making more butterflies (or as Carolee says, "egg/larva/chrysalis/adult".





Later Lorna spotted a Banded Peacock flying by. She wasn't able to get a photo, but it came my way, set down for a flutterbeat and I banged off a handful of shots and got lucky with one. Then later I got my first photo of an American Lady.


The Green Heron is a small bird as Herons go, but the most colorful of our North American herons. Most years we have seen a few, but this is the first one I have seen this year. The photo was taken through a screen of branches, but the bird's colors do show up pretty well.



- Gunnar

2 comments:

Redwing said...

So finally, a Green Heron!

Carolee Colter said...

Jealous of your Red-banded Peacock