Who are we? We are our stories.

Friday, May 15, 2020

A Shout-out To McKay Nursery.

Prairifire flowering crab has small bird-friendly fruit and is reputed to be very disease resistant. The foliage is dark red, becoming greener as the season advances. This is a photo of the tree from last Spring. 


Last Fall we went to the Rio Grande Valley for a couple of weeks., then we had our 50th Wedding Anniversary and in the scramble of oak leaves somehow I neglected to wrap five 2nd year Prairifire  crabs. I have been around the block; I really have no excuse. I even have the reusable plastic wrap on hand. The rabbits made me pay the price, chewing off the bark up three feet, killing the trees above the graft. 

On 5/10/20 I ordered five 3-foot trees to replace my shortcomings. This morning 5/15/20 - five days later, we received five 4 or 5-foot! trees, nearly as tall as the existing trees, just beginning to budding out.

Happy Birthday to me.
- Gunnar

3 comments:

Redwing said...

Glad you were able to replace that tree.

mike w. said...

Happy birthday, Gunnar!

voyageoftheeye said...

I could order a hundred carb apples and would still only see blackbirds and pigeons! Happy belated birthday.