Who are we? We are our stories.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Amateur Photographer

>
Yesterday was my best day of Warbler migration photography this Spring, not huge numbers but a nice variety. It was pretty much compressed into a short period in late afternoons. 

Generally mid to late afternoon is when the birds come down to our stream. They spend the day feeding up in the treetops, are full and ready to kick back and relax, rest for their long night flight ahead. Also the weather has been cool and overcast and the sun came out for half an hour. The birds seem to love the warm sunshine. I like it because the sun is over my shoulder then and it really lights up the birds for photography.



The drip has been a pleasant surprise - just a large rock with a natural cavity and dripping water. It isn't great for photography, but more importantly, many small birds love it. I have even seen a hummingbird hovering in the dripping water.



Swainson's Thrush



This year I have struggled a little getting birds in really sharp focus. Yesterday morning I seriously cleaned the lens, mirror and sensor. Made a noticeable difference. Damned amateur.

Your damned amateur - Gunnar

1 comment:

Redwing said...

About time you cleaned that lens. Seriously, these are great photos and they reconnect me with a whole suite of birds that I don't see often enough.