Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Monday, January 25, 2010

On Favorite Things and Places

Don't worry, this will make no sense to anyone but me. I live my life with a sound track running in my head. Life's an elevator. You meet us on the streets every day, humming continuously to ourselves. I internalize my humming. I also have some color synesthesia, wired into music and loud noises, but that's too hard to explain. People understand humming. It is my normal. Anyway, the Rev had a posting which had me brain playing These are a few of my favorite things. I started rhyming and listing things in my head and for some reason my brain jumped to the cougar sightings in the northern suburbs of the Twin Cities. Well, that took me to London and changed the color of my tune. Life doesn't have to be logical to be interesting.

3 comments:

Doohickie said...

An excitable boy, he was. May he rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

so, hang on, when you hear a melody or loud noise, you can associate a distinct colour with it? Fascinating.
Do pleasant sounds always have pleasant colours?

Allan

Gunnar Berg said...

Allan,
When I was a kid I thought I was the only person that saw music. I've discovered it's actually not really rare. Loud noises are sometimes flashes of color, seemingly random. Music is much more complicated - changing colors and moving three-dimensional shapes. Aw, you have to be there.