Who are we? We are our stories.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

After the Bridge

Saxophone: Invented by Belgian, Adolphe Sax in 1841. Bart Simpson's little sister Liza plays her tenor saxophone on the bridge of Springfield because her idol did and ... well, because that's what saxophone players do. Sonny Rollins was at the top of the jazz world in 1959 when he dropped out to practice. He practiced pretty much full time for three years on the Williamsburg Bridge in Lower Manhattan. When I discovered Sonny Rollins in the early 60s I thought his composition The Bridge was the end. He is still playing and I thought it would be fun to post it. Listening to it fresh 40 years later, I find I really don't care for it. After three years of work, an old man in small town Minnesota "doesn't care for it"?  Sorry. You'll have to settle for this. Or just take a pass.

No comments: