Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Monday, April 25, 2011

Trans Iowa

Trans Iowa V7's new overall champion, Dennis Grelk, was in the front of the event most of the 322 miles and finished with a time of 28 hours and 40 minutes.  Riders have to make time check points and about a dozen out of the 80 starters , including the first woman , Janna Vavrao, finished within the time limits. 

What was learned? Run tough tires  - the early leader was taken out by a series of flat tires.  At least three SRAM rear derailleurs failed. That has to be a huge percentage.  Conclusion - avoid them like the plague on gravel and mud.  

7 comments:

Johann Rissik said...

Oh yes!
I'll second the remark about SRAM, seen more than my share of their stuff not hacking the harsh conditions.

Silk Hope said...

Sounds like long distance Cyclo Cross to me. Barin and the Z man where are you?

Gunnar Berg said...

Don't know about Mim, but Z is peddling south toward Bali for a rendezvous with the kid.

Mimbres Man said...

First time I've heard of this race. Sounds cool!

Gunnar Berg said...

I assume it's very local.

Mimbres Man said...

Been reading Guitar Ted's blog on it. Sounds hardcore. I've never ridden or even been in Iowa. I've had a dream of a Trans-New Mexico for a long time. West to East. East of the Rio Grande, things are bleak.

Gunnar Berg said...

From what what I've driven and what others say, this is in an easy part of Iowa. The far west is tough. Z claims it's harder than riding across the Rockies because it's so continually up and down.