Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Velo-Growlery

The new edition of the Oxford Concise Dictionary is dropping the word "growlery", meaning "the private den of a man". Whoa! Let's think this over over before taking such rash action. I mean, would you rather retire to your growlery with a cigar and cognac, or go the your man cave and drink a couple cans of Bud Lite? While I have a nice wood paneled den, I'm in the process of refurbishing an out building into a personal bike shop and studio. This is required for both bicycle storage and wrenching, and cigar smoking, as my mate has drawn a pretty firm line in the sand on smoking in the house. Boy, I'd sure rather call it a "growlery" than a "shed",  but I suppose I can't do it now that growlery isn't a word anymore.

3 comments:

Oldfool said...

I read that in the New Yorker. Apparently they needed room for new words such as "sexting" and "retweet" in the COD. Words I'll never use but some other old fool might need. The word is still around and in use just not there. That's why I have a stack of new and old dictionaries.
My shed is the "Bike shed" and I like the name. I refer to the bus I live in (mostly) my hovel. I never refer to anything as the den, office and certainly not "the man cave".

Tom G. said...

Long live the Growlery!

Especially one that has a small fridge well stocked with Growlers.

Gunnar Berg said...

I do have a Worth Brewing growler. The mini-frig is a new thought though.