Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day 11: Estero Llano Grande

We were out early with our neighbors, Paul and Carolee. They are both serious birders, and Paul in particular is working to add to his life list. I am indifferent to keeping lists of bird sightings, but Lorna is getting on board that train as fast as she can and I support her efforts when I can. Paul's quest today, and therefore all of our's, was the smallest tyrant flycatcher, the Northern Beardless Tyrannulet. We hung out in areas where the bird had been sighted. We saw a lot of birds, but not our quarry. Eventually Paul's enthusiasm waned, and he and Carolee decided to check out the Edinburg Refuge. As we were there yesterday, we stayed at Estero Llano. It was a bit of a slow day, but I did get a poor picture of a Black Phoebe, a reasonably rare sighting, and a few other miscellaneous birds.


Snowy Egret

Green-winged Teal


I'm slowly falling in love with Little Blue Herons. They are always a great subject.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Apologize for not commenting sooner. Really have been enjoying your bird pictures, particularly the jay. I'd seriously consider framing some of these when you get home. They are really good...not bad for a blind guy! Did you get a new camera? Sounds like you are having fun. Good for you guys. See you in a month and a half. Larry

Gunnar Berg said...

It is a new camera body, but with my existing lens. The new one has better light processing abilities and 24.2 megapixels, which is about 4X what the old camera had. I still make no claims to be a photographer, I am a birder who carries a camera.