Who are we? We are our stories.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Birding Update

We have been doing light birding every day. The best was Wednesday when we drove up to Weslaco. Actually we drove all the way to the Breadsmith Bakery in McAllen, two hours for four loaves of bread.  Then we returned to Estero Llano Grande where we reconnected with a number of old friends and went to eat at Nana's with Bill and Cathy Mauck. After eating we returned to Estero for the guided butterfly walk.

The other days have been just a walk through the World Birding Center or over to the Convention Center.

Today dawned cool and windy, but the sun broke through and it looked as if it would be stellar day. As it was not a yoga day Lorna wanted to get in some morning birding and we headed to the WBC. The weather turned on us a bit, the sun vanished and the wind off the Gulf picked up and cooled more if anything. Still it was bright enough that the photo shots on the open Madre were tough, at least I never got dialed in really sweet - but still okay.





There seemed to be a lot of shots of Roseate Spoonbills, not a favorite bird of mine, but certainly fan favorites. 













And now to one of my favorites, a Clapper Rail.

"Did you go birding?"   "No, I was railing."

I could not make out this Rail in the cover, but Lorna could see the wing pattern through the grass and talked me to where it was. Just as I found it it stepped out for a three foot run to hide again. I was on it thanks to Lorna.




























Serving the public, chasing birds so you don't have to. - Gunnar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I want to...

Gunnar Berg said...

Dear Anony,
I understand. It is optional.
-G