Who are we? We are our stories.

Friday, August 6, 2021

My People: Smalltown Music in the Park

Small turnout, maybe 100, because someone I have never heard of was playing the Freeborn County Fair. We opted for "real" music. It was a beautiful evening - friends, our Tejano branch of the family. Luke Cardona's band playing Tex-Mex, Conjunto, Country Rock ... or whatever strikes them at at the moment. Luke is on break from his Twin Cities suburb tech day job, so they are burning his vacation playing somewhere every day, and every night on weekends. The "big time"? He said they might cover food and gas. This iteration of the Los Rebeldes has been playing together since 1981, now led by Luke, his father on bass, and various relatives and friends on other instruments.




Lorna dancing with her sister-in-law, Paula Cardona.



 











The long-legged dancing girl is my grandniece Olivia. Olivia never knew her grandfather, my brother Kirby, but she puts flowers on his grave. Olivia knows who she is and she hugged me as her grandfather. 

And I cried. I cried for her. I cried for my brother.

And cried one more time as I wrote this. 
Gunnar

No comments: