Who are we? We are our stories.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Allen's Hummingbird

My picture is an I.D. photo at best. This bird was originally spotted in the backyard of a professional biologist in Edinburg, Texas. A number of knowledge folks have verified the identification as an Allen's Hummingbird. This morning we waited quite a while for it. Why all the above B.S.?  This bird is a West Coast bird that should not be here, and it is very difficult to separate the identification from the much more common Rufus Hummingbird. And I think it may be my first, or possibly second, "life bird" this season in the Valley. Not that I am counting.

And a some other things we saw in a Trailer Park on the banks of the Arroyo Colorado. I think the Golden-fronted Woodpecker is nice. And the Moscovy Duck if it wasn't feral. The grooming Yellow-crowned Night-Heron is okay, in a peaceful feeling Oriental way.






And damn, a larger than life-sized Labrador named Karl. That is really tough to beat in closing. - Gunnar

1 comment:

Redwing said...

Congrats on that Allen's Hummer! Great photo. I wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a Rufous unless I was in California.