Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Friday, February 20, 2009

A Dog Called Worker

Today I made my periodic trip to the Mayo Clinic. Any time you are really feeling sorry for yourself, a walk through the clinic will help adjust your attitude. There are a lot of people in this world that are really messed up, and a lot of them end up there. As I was leaving I got on the elevator with a young man in a wheelchair leashed to a Golden Lab. I commented on the animal. He said, kind of matter of factually, "Yeah, he pulls me. I need help since I broke my back". I asked what the dog's name was. "Ahh, I dunno, I just call him Worker". The door opened and the kid said, "Let's go." Worker tugged, spun the chair around, and towed him out of the elevator and down the hall - a dog on a mission, pulling deliberate, looking straight ahead. Not a pet, a worker with a job to do.

No comments: