Who are we? We are our stories.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Toad and the Lama Surya Das

I have reconnected with my old friend Toad. We were college roommates, or more accurately, college dropout roommates. We lived together in one of those times of transition in our lives. I didn't realize how much I missed him until we started communicating again - my Toad who was lost and now is found. Among other things he has a blog devoted to establishing an ethical will, a way of passing on the life lessons and values you have spent a lifetime learning, to the next generation - to save them from the Goddamned pain you have suffered.

This is from his blog http://yourethicalwill.blogspot.com/ taken from the writings of the Lama Surya Das:

  • ~ Take care, stay aware. Watch your step. Pay attention---it pays off.

  • ~ Awaken your mind, open your heart and energize yourself. Learn to see clearly and love generously.

  • ~ Find a way to live your own spiritual practice. Develop an ongoing spiritual life, not just a few spiritual experiences.

  • ~ Don't see others' light. Exploit your own innate natural resources for a change. Mine the mind.
  • ~ Freedom is a process, not just an idea or ideal outcome. Progress is more important than perfection.

  • ~ Learn to accept, to let go, and let be. Allow.
  • ~ Lighten up while enlightening up. Cultivate joy. Don't take yourself too seriously, or it won't be much fun.

  • ~ Don't cling to anything. Recognize everything is impermanent and like a dream, a movie, a sitcom. Remember the daily mantra: This Too Shall Pass.

  • ~ Not too tight, and not too loose. Stay attuned to the big picture.

  • ~ Be mindful. Pay attention. Keep your eyes peeled. Be vigilant and intelligent about your experiments with reality.

  • ~ Be here while getting there, every single step of the way.

  • ~ Don't rely on mere words and concepts. Just say maybe.

  • ~ Don't be deceived by ideas and opinions, either others' or your own. You just can't believe whatever you think.

2 comments:

Jonny Hamachi said...

"an ethical will"

Once I was crossing Divisadero at a crosswalk where there was no light. It's a busy 4 lane boulevard, very fast. As I'm crossing the first half, I pass an elderly lady crossing slow. We reach the meridian together and I keep walking. She stops to check the traffic, so I stop in the middle of the first of two lanes coming from our right. I turn back and say "Come on, I'll keep an eye on them". I stand there holding back traffic while she makes her way across. I didn't think much of it, but as the traffic starts to move, I hear a voice from a car holler, "That's right baby, do the right thing." I gave them a wave, and will never forget.

That's Right Baby, Do The Right Thing.

We all know what the right thing is...

Old Toad said...

Finally catching up on reading your past blog posts, Gunnar, and found this one about my childhood alias (I confess, I am the "Toad" of which you write about). I, too, am enjoying our reconnection after all the years that have passed us by. Your wacky sense of humor remains well intact and love of good "spirits" seems to have grown over the years. I don't recall your joy of bicycle-building during our college days. Perhaps, it appeared in a mellower time of your life. I'm enjoying the photos and descriptions of (for me) "exotic" bike parts you're finding. For years, I've had a Miyata mountain bike (obviously, I'm not a "weight weenie") that I ride mostly on asphalt -- with an occasional summer ride down a narrow trail in wild country near Sisters, Oregon (breathing dust from my dearest Anita's bike which always seems to be in front of me).
Thanks for the link to my Life Legacies blog. I've been away from it too long. Best get back to posting my thoughts on the subject this weekend.
Wonder what Lama Surya Das would say about being "titled" with the Toad on your blog? Ommmmmm ....