Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Sunday, February 8, 2009

More Khmer Rouge

From an email from myself to Adena today.
"At the time of the Khmer Rouge, Cambodia was sealed and nobody outside of Cambodia knew how bad it was. There were just whispers and rumors. I didn't become aware of the genocide myself until the book and then movie, "The Killing Fields" came out. I guess it was so terribly disturbing that I put in in a dark, awful corner of my memory - the same way I do with the awful things that are still happening in Africa. The thing about the Khmer Rouge that was different than the other breakdowns of humanity, is that they were doing to their own people. Doing it to themselves."

1 comment:

reverend dick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.