Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Kvale Pre-build Continues

I'm contining to look and bid, trying to assemble a full set of components to build up the "new" Kvale frame. So far I've pretty much found what Chris would have put on it back in the day. In addition to the Campagnolo group I already found, I just won a Cinelli 26.4 mm stem and a set of 26.4 Ambrosio bars. The Ambrosio has nice engraving on the bulge. They are still in business under the name of 3ttt. Why would you replace a beautiful name like Ambrosio for 3ttt? Corporate mergers I assume. The saddle and stem have proven to be the tougher ones. I guess people feel the old Campy stems are worth morethan I do.

Last evening I got a call from a friend. He had a chance to pick up a wheelset of Phil Wood hubs laced to Super Champion Gentleman rims with maybe 500 miles on them. He gave me the man's number. We talked; $50 for the set! Phils last forever. If you have to ask how much, you cannot afford them. Now that is a friend!

3 comments:

reverend dick said...

That sounds like a friend with no cycling interest of his own...

Gunnar Berg said...

Actually he's a former bicycle shop owner with a handful of killer road bikes.

reverend dick said...

Then he really IS a good friend. Deal like that is hard to pass up.

Looking forward to seeing what you make of the Kvale.